This risotto is a fusion of Japanese and Italian ingredients. Italian Carnaroli rice is mixed with coconut milk powder and spiced with Togarashi. If you haven't had Togarashi you're in for a treat. It's a peppery Japanese condiment containing red chili peppers, black pepper, sesame seeds, mandarin orange peel and nori seaweed flakes.
TOGARASHI RISOTTO RECIPE
Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 45 mins Total time: 1 hour Serves: 2
• 1 package togarashi risotto • 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth • 1 Tbsp. evoo • 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided • 4 cloves garlic, minced • 1 Tbsp. ginger, minced • 1 cup shallots, minced • ⅓ bottle prosecco (or dry white wine) • salt and pepper to taste • 1 bunch green onion, diced to garnish
1. Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepot - keep aside on low to add to risotto
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and 3 tbsp. butter over medium heat
3. Add garlic, ginger and shallots and cook until translucent, about 1-2 minutes
4. Add the package of togarashi risotto & stir for a minute, allowing the ingredients to coat the rice
5. Pour in the prosecco and allow to cook down until you can no longer smell the alcohol
6. Now, start adding the broth 1 ladle at a time, stirring gently and allowing the rice to absorb the liquid
7. Repeat for 25-30 minutes, or until the rice has reached the desired creaminess
8. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired
9. Stir in a little more broth, add 1 Tbsp. of unsalted butter, stir and remove from heat
10. If you prepared shrimp/chicken to add in, add to the risotto now
11. Serve immediately garnished with green onion.
Notes: Add shrimp or chicken; season, cook and set aside first.