This dish is made perfect with a well balanced tomato broth by draining slightly cooked tomatoes in cheesecloth. This light base is the canvas for scallops and feta stuffed zucchini.
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 70 mins | Total time: 80 minutes | Serves: 6
4 1/2 lb tomatoes, stems removed and reserved, 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, sea salt
2 medium zucchini, peeled & sliced into 1/4 inch rounds, 2 cups basil leaves, 24 small leaves for garnish, 1/2 cup EVOO, 1/2 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano, 1/2 cup crumbled feta, 24 sea scallops, pea shoots, 1 tbsp butter, sea salt.
1. Using a paring knife score a 1" X in the bottoms of each tomato and cook until skins are loose and soft. Remove to a large bowl and cool slightly; peel away skins and drain the water from pot and place back on stove
2. Quarter the tomatoes, reserving the juices. Use a melon baller, scoop out their seeds; reserve seeds and transfer the remaining tomato flesh to a blender
3. Blend tomatoes until chunky and return them to the empty pot and add thyme, tomato stems, a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat until simmering (7 mins)
4. Set a fine strainer over a heatproof bowl and line it with 2 layers of cheesecloth. Add tomato mixture and let rest, stirring the pulp occasionally until the tomato water has drained (30 minutes)
5. Prepare zucchini - preheat oven to 350 and in a food processor add basil, 1/2 cup EVOO, Parmigiano, walnuts, 1/8 teaspoon salt, black pepper, process it until it becomes a thick paste. Transfer to a medium bowl and add the feta and stir well
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush with EVOO. Add half the zucchini slices in a single layer, then top each with a 1/2 teaspoon of the feta mixture. Place additional zucchini slices atop each and press down lightly to seal the zucchini. Roast 5 minutes and flip each zucchini 2 minutes more and season with salt.
7. In a small pan over medium heat, add tomato water and a pinch of salt and warm
8. Make scallops - season scallops lightly with salt in a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add EVOO and once hot carefully add the scallops. Cook until golden brown on each side and remove from heat
9. To serve, place 1/2 cup of tomato water in each soup bowl and add 3-4 zucchini ravioli and 3-4 scallops to each bowl. Season the reserved tomato seeds with salt and distribute them to each bowl and add a few basil leaves and pea shoots and serve.